Tuesday, January 5, 2010

In the beginning.....

My husband, Mark, and I have been on quite the journey over the past three year.  After a long struggle with trying to get pregnant, we now find ourselves in the midst of a new journey--the journey to adoption.

It all started when we decided to try to have a baby 3 years ago.  We tried....and tried....and tried.  And, obviously, nothing happened.  So, we began pursuing infertility treatment.  That was a long, painful, and inevitably, fruitless endeavor.  In the midst of the infertility battle we got licensed for foster care/adoption through the state and took a little boy who we thought was going to be the answer to our prayers.  In the end, it didn't work out and we were left to grieve yet another loss.  Also, in the midst of treatments, I started an infertility support group.  Through the group, I connected with several amazing, strong, and determined women who helped me down my path.

And, here we are today...after lots of failed attempts at starting a family, we have finally turned to a private adoption agency.  For the first time in three years, we are at peace with where we are in our journey.  We are working with an agency in Chicago, Adoption Link, and are so blessed to have found them.  Finding an agency that was in-line with our beliefs and convictions was difficult but finding Adoption Link has been a miracle.  We have an incredible worker who is responsive and caring and we are confident that we are exactly where we should be.

I am starting this blog for many reasons...

First of all, just to write.  This journey has been hard and painful and I have found that "talking" about it has helped me in ways that I never imagined it could.

Second, I am writing because my friends and family members are always asking where we are in the process, so I figured this would be a good forum to keep people informed.

But, most importantly, I am hoping my blog can reach people who are silently dealing with infertility.  As I settled into my infertility diagnosis, I began talking.  And, as I began talking, I found so many women who had been suffering silently and who felt isolated and alone.  Most statistics say that 2.1 million women in the US experience infertility.  Chances are someone you know is silently suffering--maybe your sister, your cousin, or even your best friend.  I want to break down the shrouds of silence and talk about it.  Women need to know that they are not alone.

Also, along the way, I have found that people don't know what to say to those they love who are dealing with infertility.  I hope to give some suggestions and support to those who love someone with infertility.

3 comments:

  1. Megan, I am thrilled to hear that you are starting a blog to help raise awareness of infertility. I believe it is a wonderful idea to share updates, make others aware, and will also help you cope with your own struggles along the way. I look forward to your future blogs. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy DirschelJanuary 05, 2010

    That's my girl!!! I'm sure thousands will benefit from this.

    ReplyDelete